The Lincoln Christmas lights switch-on event is back again for 2022 and is set to kickstart the festivities across the city. Held on Lincoln High Street, the much-anticipated event will be packed full of entertainment from live musical performances to celebrity guest appearances.
The hugely popular annual occasion, organised by City of Lincoln Council, attracts thousands to the city centre for an evening of festive cheer. It will take place on Thursday, November 17 from 4.30pm, kicking off with a live DJ set.
With the celebrations soon to commence, we have put together a guide of everything you need to know ahead of the Lincoln Christmas lights switch-on 2022:
Where is the lights switch-on taking place?
The Lincoln Christmas light switch-on will take place on the High Street as it does every year. The stage will be located near the war memorial with entertainment planned throughout the evening.
It is expected to get extremely busy, so make sure to get there in good time if you are wanting a good view of all the action. St Marks Shopping Centre will also be hosting their switch-on event from 4.30pm – 6.30pm.
Who is switching on the lights?
Kerry Katona and her daughter Lilly McFadden are the celebrity guests who will be switching on the lights this year. The event will also be compered by BBC Radio Lincolnshire presenter Sean Dunderdale, with the Mayor of Lincoln offering a Christmas message and The Mayor’s Chaplain saying a prayer.
There will also be a special appearance from Pudsey Bear as well as performances from singer songwriter Chloey Rose and Cinderella star Georgia Hayes-Cowley
Kerry, who started her career as a member of girl group Atomic Kitten, will play the role of Ugly Sister Botox in the Lincoln Cinderella panto. Her daughter Lilly will join Kerry in the 2022 performance as Baby Botox and will be the first time the pair have performed together on stage.
What are the timings for the event?
Below is a full schedule for the Lincoln Christmas lights swtch-on 2022:
- 4.30pm – 5.45pm: DJ on stage
- 5.45pm: compere introductions from BBC Radio Lincolnshire’s Sean Dunderdale
- 5.50pm – 6pm: entertainment from Curious Theatre School
- 6pm – 6.10pm: Lincoln City Women
- 6.10pm – 6.25pm: performance from singer songwriter Chloey Rose
- 6.25pm: welcome from special guest Pudsey Bear
- 6.30pm: procession sets off from Lincoln Guildhall, which will include the Mayor of Lincoln and her civic party, Freemen of the City, members of City of Lincoln Council, the MP for Lincoln Karl McCartney, Kerry Katona and Lilly McFadden.
- 6.35pm – 6.50pm: performances from the cast of New Theatre Royal’s pantomime Cinderella, including Cinderella star Georgia Hayes-Cowley
- 6.50pm – 6.55pm: The mayor’s chaplain, Father Eddy, will say a prayer, and there will be a Christmas message from the mayor
- 6.55pm: Kerry Katona and Lilly McFadden will take to the stage ahead of the big switch-on
- 7pm: Lincoln’s lights officially switched on.
Access and other useful information
City of Lincoln Council has made access to all their car parks free between 4pm and 9.30pm on the day of the event. To make the most of this, either visit Lincoln Central Car Park, or use the PaybyPhone app at all other council-owned car parks in the city.
The Waterside Shopping Centre will continue the celebrations with late night shopping from 5.30pm-8.00pm. It will have its own official light switch on at 7.20pm.